Friday, April 1, 2011

Interior With St. Francis

Friday and it's finished.  A bit about St. franics.
On July 16, 1228, he was pronounced a saint by Pope Gregory IX. He is known as the patron saint of animals, the environment and one of the two patrons of Italy (with Catherine of Siena), and it is customary for Catholic and Anglican churches to hold ceremonies blessing animals on his feast day of 4 October.

 
I have painted two or three pieces involving Saint Francis.  I feel especially connected to this Saint as many do.  My mother, now 82, is not only a devote Catholic but a member of the Franciscan order.  My son Samuel’s school happens to be on the grounds of the St. Francis Seminary and was originally a meeting house/sanctuary belonging to the seminary.   The actual seminary, with its lovely grounds and grotto, is still next to his school and has just recently closed.  I always feel a sense of peace as I drive down the school's driveway   as though I am on holy ground and feel a sense that  he is especially protected. 
                                                                                  Catherine.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this! The bowl on the table reminds me of a beautiful dove. And I really like the chalices on the drapes. The cat dosing under the picture of St. Francis is perfect.
I, too, have a special devotion to St. Francis and also to St. Clare of Asissi.

La Petite Gallery said...

You did a marvelous job on St Francis. I love St Anne of the roses too.
stop over today I have a big giveaway.

yvonne

desha peacock said...

Found your blog, love it!

Vickie H. said...

Although I have recently purchased 2 of your prints from your Etsy shop, I have not visited your blog before. Today, I rectified that and have become a follower. Needless to say, I love your work and look forward to many more of these beautiful blog posts!!!